When we have a salad at our house it’s always a bit hairy (not the salad thank goodness – how gross – just whether the kids will eat it).
My kids like their vegies separate. And I can understand that. I was the same when I was little. And I hated raw tomato (so I never make them eat it if they don’t want to). But that’s another story.
So, I was once again pushing my luck with this meal. But I thought I might have some success because it contains mango*. And they all love mango.
This salad has a thai style dressing. I made it the first time because I had all the ingredients handy. It is a great summer dish and very easy to make. It’s one of those meals to save for a night when you only feel like mixing …we’ve had it twice in the last couple of weeks.
Chicken and Mango Salad with Feta
- 1 shop roasted chicken, boned and shredded or cut into bite size pieces
- 2 mangoes, diced or sliced (whatever you prefer)
- 1 cucumber, finely sliced
- 1/2-1 iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 1/2 bunch coriander, shredded or chopped
- feta, crumbled
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger julienned or minced
- 1 red chilli chopped
- 1tsp brown sugar
- 1tbsp fish sauce
Place the lettuce, cucumber and chicken in the salad bowl. Just use as much lettuce as you like. Add the coriander. Mix the lime juice with the other dressing ingredients and drizzle it over the salad. Crumble the feta on the top at the end (well I do this on individual serves because the kids don’t love feta). If everyone likes feta you could just put it in at the start.
* Only Scarlett dug her heels in and refused to eat it. And she’s the one that likes mango the most … I guess she is 6.