gelignite and toadstools

This little box sits in my lounge under my TV.  It was in very bad repair when I got it.

However, I loved the fact that it had dovetail corners even though they were coming apart in some places.  I carefully hammered the joins back together using a rubber mallet.   The timber was also pretty dirty and rough (I think someone had used it in their shed or garden), so I gave it a wash and a very light sand (carefully avoiding the old printing on the box) and then a wax.  This really made the printing more visible.

I screwed some castors on to the bottom, and voila, a great looking, unique and handy box.

As you can see I use it to store my toadstool cushions.  These are a hit with my children.  They sit on them, play with them with their dolls and soft toys and take them outside to use in the garden.   The fabric and fillings came from ikea.    I just sewed the inner cushions into a round shape and cut the corners off.  And I sewed the cushion covers up, left a reasonable hole and stuffed the inner cushions in.  I then sewed up the gap using my sewing machine and matching red cotton.  As the cushions have a laminated finish I don’t ever imagine needing to wash them with anything other than a cloth so sewing them up isn’t a problem.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s